Reels is a feature on Instagram, launched in 2020, that allows users to create and explore short, engaging videos on a new dedicated Feed. It was introduced as Instagram’s answer to the rise of TikTok, a platform focused on short-form video content.
Key points about Reels:
- Duration: Reels videos can be up to 60 seconds long.
- Editing Tools: The feature offers a variety of creative tools, including audio, AR effects, timer, countdown, align, and speed controls, which help users to create engaging content.
- Discoverability: Unlike regular Instagram Stories that are primarily shown to followers, Reels has a dedicated space on the Explore page, making it easier for users to discover new content from a broader range of creators.
- Sharing: Reels can be shared to a user’s Feed, the dedicated Reels tab on their profile, or sent directly to other users.
- Audio: Users can select music from Instagram’s music library or use original audio. When original audio is used, other users can tap on it to create their own Reels using that sound.
Reels has become a significant part of Instagram’s platform, allowing users to express themselves and discover a wider variety of content in a short, engaging format.